100th Anniversary Celebration
This year during the month of August, we will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Borough and the Shillington Fire Department. Various events are currently in the planning stage. As details of the celebration are finalized, they will be listed here. Please help support this celebration by purchasing the following commemorative items:
- T-Shirts – $12.00
- Baseball Caps – $15.00
- Women’s Visors – $18.00
- A Commemorative Plate picturing the Town Hall – $25.00 (pre-orders are now being taken)
These items may be purchased at the Town Hall. Orders for the Commemorative Plate are also being taken at the Town Hall. For additional information, please contact Nancy Kershner at 610.777.3949 or Dick Brown at 610.777.6887.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Saturday, August 9, 2008
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – The Shillington Quadathlon Relay
- 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Historic Scavenger Hunt (free)
Sunday, August 10, 2008
- 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Community Church Service in the Park
- 12:30 p.m. – Time Capsule Dedication
- 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Historic Trolley Tours (free)
Saturday, August 16, 2008
- 11:00 a.m. – Shillington Anniversary Parade
- 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. – Commemorative Post Office Cancellation
- 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Classic Car Show (free)
- 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – John Hain & Mango Summers Band (free)
- 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – The Reading Pops Orchestra (free)
COMMEMORATIVE ENVELOPE AND CANCELLATION:
The United States Postal Service will be placing into service a pictorial commemorative cancellation recognizing Shillington’s 100th Anniversary. The Shillington Post Office will have staff present at the Anniversary celebration in the Park on Saturday, August 16 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The postal service will cancel any items that contain appropriate postage with the commemorative cancellation. The cancellation will also be available at the Shilllington Post Office, located in the Kenhorst Plaza, from Monday, August 18 until Tuesday, September 16.
A commemorative envelope will also be on sale during the Park event at a cost of $2.00 each. A color cachet of the Town logo will appear on the front of the envelope. A Town history will be contained in the envelope itself. Each envelope will be cancelled with the pictorial cancellation. Also, a limited and numbered edition of 20 envelopes, autographed by Shillington native and American author John Updike, will be available at a cost of $12.50 each at the Park event.
All proceeds from the sale of the commemorative envelopes will be donated to the Keystone Fire Company of Shillington.